Top 5 activities to try while under quarantine
Hello and Welcome to ItsLifeBlog.com’s (ITLB) very first post. Of course, the topic du jour is, none other than, you guessed it the reason we are under quarantine, COVID-19. Keep reading to see our top 5 activities to try while under quarantine.
There have been so many changes to this seemingly fluid virus, with new discussion points daily, how can anyone keep up? I don’t know about you, but I’m over this pandemic/quarantine life and that’s saying a lot because I’m a news junkie and will have the news playing 24-7, that is until my husband requests a channel change. Thus, to alleviate this sapping, stressful challenging time, I’ve come up with the top 5 activities to try while under quarantine.
I’m completely exhausted from hearing about this virus. I’m fatigued because my sleeping pattern is JACKED UP. I’m weary because there’s NO ME time, it’s all jumbled together with everyone else’s (that resides here – part-time or otherwise). At least when I could go to work, I had my 45 minute ride in my car alone; but I ain’t got that no more thanks C-Dog. I digress, I’m aggravated because I have to don a mask every damn place I go and I’m really tired of social distancing. I’m ready to fly free – run through Tysons Corner, go to the library, the museum, the boardwalk, the beach, ride my bike along a trail, fitness class, wineries, visit and hug my family and friends. I WANT OUTTA HERE – NOW!
Anywho, I’m not here to discuss the root cause of why we’re under quarantine (or atleast from what they’re telling us), but I am here to share some things to do in spite of. All of course while social distancing – whatever that is – did you see the pics from the National Mall the Saturday before last? YIKES! SPIKES – anyone? Alright, without further delay here are our top 5 activities to try while under quarantine. These ideas come from our Family Fun Festivities (Triple F) playbook, lol.
Top 5 activities to try while under quarantine:
- Phrase photos- I created this term (as I typed this post) off the top of my head. Here’s the backstory, a few weeks ago, DH, DSD and yours truly began taking timed photos on my DSD’s cell phone and yes, our Rottie, posed for a few, lol. We laughed harder and harder with our various light-hearted and silly photos. Then an idea popped into my head: I’d say a phrase, seconds before the timer went off to capture true emotions and feelings. IT WAS A RIOT!!! This became EVEN MORE hilarious as each of us took several turns coming up with words or phrases, for example: the dog shit in the house; quarantine is finally over; freshly baked chocolate chip cookies are done; DSD got all F’s (she’s actually an honor-roll student, lol); the neighbors just waved. You get the idea, the possibilities are endless. Try it and trust me it’ll leave you in stitches. Mmmmhhh, I’m now wondering how this would turn out with an adult beverage in my hand. We truly had a blast, so much so that to memorialize our event we are adding a few of the photos to our walls with our phrased captions.
- Learn a new skill by reading a new book. Many libraries have e-books and some magazines available for free to download. Plenty of options here: fiction, non-fiction, self-help, advanced studies. My new personal favorite: books on entrepreneurs.
- Exercise – either independently, with your family group, or with your dog. Don’t have a dog, I’d recommend getting one – they’re cute, cuddly and sometimes courageous – J/K on the suggestion, but real talk on the adjectives. Although, during hard times many are suffering from depression and having a pet could provide periods of joy. Last month DSD and I both came up with 5-7 exercises (flutter kicks, jumping jacks, wall sit etc) and we did them for 2-3 rounds. It took about 30 minutes and was a darn good workout.
- Cooking – I don’t know about you, but I’ve been cooking my “ash” off, lately. I cook somewhat regularly anyway, but with extra-time on my hands, it’s been a feast over here! I’ve made cinnamon rolls, pretzels, chocolate chip cookies, shrimp fried rice, banana bread and many others. DH and I have even come up with a new spice – more on that in a future post – like seriously, we’re thinking about marketing this homemade spice. Anywho keep an eye out, I’ll be posting many of our recipes in future posts. Even if you don’t know how to boil water for rice, I’d encourage you to give something, anything a try. Why not, you ain’t got nothing else to do. And last but not least:
- Plan and have a zoom party for any occasion. I recently “attended”/ participated in a friend’s 50th BIRTHDAY VIA ZOOM. Just as it would be at a “live” party, we introduced ourselves and sipped our drinks. Next, we all explained how we knew the birthday Woman and then we played adult taboo. It was a great stress buster. I was able to see and chat with old friends and meet new ones. It was a stone cold groove.
Well there you have it – the top 5 activities to try while under quarantine. Now it’s your turn – what are you doing during these times to keep sane? Comment below. See ya on the next post!